This recipe combines cheesy spinach artichoke dip with chicken and whole wheat pasta for a delicious, satisfying dish!
I’ve always loved spinach artichoke dip. In this recipe, the spinach artichoke dip is promoted from an appetizer to the main dish.
So I’m sure it’s obvious – I am not a professional photographer. Some dishes are easy to photograph, and some present more of a challenge. This dish is so delicious, but this spinach artichoke chicken is not as photogenic as other dishes. Please try not to hold this dish’s unfortunate appearance against it.
I promise this chicken is really really good.
Like I’m-so-excited-to-eat-the-leftovers-for-lunch good.
VEGGIES: This dish already has spinach and artichoke in it, but it never hurts to add more vegetables. This chicken goes great with sauteed asparagus, roasted brussel sprouts, or crispy garlic broccoli.
My family likes this chicken served over whole wheat pasta. For a lower carb option, try serving it over cauliflower rice.
You may also like these other easy slow cooker recipes:
Please note that this recipe calls for freshly shredded parmesan (not canned grated parmesan!). You can usually find freshly shredded parmesan in the deli or refrigerator section at the grocery store or you can find a wedge of parmesan cheese in the refrigerated cheese section at the grocery store and shred it yourself.
I always prefer shredding the cheese myself. I like my recipes to be as easy as possible, but I think the shredding step is worth it. The shredded cheese you buy at the store often has extra ingredients added to prevent the cheese from clumping – this certainly improves the cheese’s appearance, but it means the cheese won’t be as creamy when you melt it.
Don’t worry – if you’re in a rush and want to use shredded cheese, go for it! This dish will still be delicious.
Spinach Artichoke Chicken in the Slow Cooker
5 oz fresh spinach
2-3 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts, whole or cubed
15 oz can of artichokes, drained and roughly chopped
1 onion, diced
1 Tbsp minced garlic
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp chicken bouillon
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/4 C corn starch
5 oz fresh, shredded parmesan (see note above)
1/2 C heavy cream
1. Arrange the spinach in the slow cooker.
2. Place the chicken over the spinach. Add the artichokes, onion, garlic, salt, pepper, and bouillon.
3. Cover the slow cooker and cook on low for 7-8 hours.
4. About 10 minutes before you’d like to eat, combine the heavy cream with the corn starch in a small bowl. Mix well to get rid of any lumps.
5. Add the cornstarch/cream mixture and the parmesan cheese to the slow cooker and stir well. Re-cover the slow cooker to keep things warm until you’re ready to eat.
6. Serve hot over whole wheat pasta. Garnish with green onions, if desired.
This recipe was adapted from here.