These flavorful taquitos are made healthy with whole wheat tortillas and are baked, not fried.
These taquitos are easy to throw together, and my family loves them.
You can make these taquitos in the morning, keep them in the fridge, and then cook them right before dinner. You can also freeze the taquitos and save them for a busy weeknight.
For more healthy dinner recipes, try these:
Cheesy Beef and Beef Taquitos
1 lb ground beef
14 oz refried beans
1 Tbsp minced garlic
1 Tbsp chili powder
2 tsp cumin
1 tsp salt
1 tsp black pepper
4 oz cheese, shredded (about 1 cup)
1/4 C cilantro, chopped
1/4 C green onions, chopped (2 green onions)
4 oz black olives (optional)
14 whole wheat tortillas
1. Preheat the oven to 400F.
2. Prepare a baking sheet with cooking spray. (I line my baking sheet with aluminum foil to make the clean-up easier.)
3. Cook the ground beef in a large skillet over medium-high heat, until cooked through.
4. Drain the beef and place in a large bowl.
5. Add the spices and refried beans to the meat. Mix well to combine.
6. Add the cheese, cilantro, green onions, and olives. Stir to combine.
7. Scoop about 3 Tbsp of the meat mixture and place on one tortilla, about 1/3 of the way from one side. Roll up the tortilla and place on the prepared baking sheet. Repeat with the remaining tortillas until you run out of the meat mixture.
8. Spray the tops of the taquitos with cooking spray (or brush with oil olive) and sprinkle salt over the top.
9. Bake in the oven for 15-17 minutes, until the edges are golden.
If you want to make these taquitos beforehand, just do steps 3-7, and store the taquitos in the fridge (or in the freezer, they will keep for a couple months). When you are ready to cook the taquitos, do steps 1-2 and 8-9. (If the taquitos were stored in the freezer, you don’t need to thaw them before cooking. Just increase the cooking time by about 5 minutes.)
This recipe is adapted from here.