Easy vanilla cake – made healthier with whole wheat flour!
My daughter had a birthday this week, and she requested a pink cake with pink frosting. She didn’t care about the flavor – just the color. Pink frosting? I can do that. A pink cake? Well, I tried, but you can see from the pictures that it’s not really pink. I added food coloring to the cake batter, but after baking, the color seems to be lost.
At least the cake was tasty!
Looking for more whole wheat treats? Try these:
Time: 45 minutes
- 2 C whole wheat flour
- 1 C white sugar
- 1/2 C brown sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 3/4 C vegetable oil
- 3 eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1 C milk
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Prepare a 9×13 baking dish or two 8″ cake pans with cooking spray.
- Combine the wheat flour, white sugar, brown sugar, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl.
- Add the oil, vanilla, eggs, and milk to the flour mixture. Using a hand mixer to mix the batter until well combined.
- Pour the batter in the prepared baking dish or cake pans.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes for 8″ cake pans or 35-40 minutes for a 9×13 dish, or until a toothpick inserted in the middle of the cake comes out clean.
- Let cool before frosting.
This recipe is adapted from here.