This is a recipe I grew up eating – it’s so good. It was actually the first dish I ever made for my husband (he wasn’t my husband at the time), and it’s still one of his favorite meals.
This dish calls for cubed chicken, but you can also cook whole chicken breasts in the slow cooker and shred them at the end.
This recipe also calls for dry Italian dressing mix. I usually use a store-bought mix, but you can easily make the mix from scratch.
Serving size: 1/2 C
Prep time: 10 minutes
Total time: 8 hours
- Place the butter and chicken in the slow cooker.
- Sprinkle the dressing mix and salt over the chicken.
- Cook on low in your slow cooker for 7-8 hours.
- About 15 minutes before you’d like to eat, add the milk and heavy cream to the slow cooker.
- Combine the corn starch and chicken broth in a small bowl. Stir well so that no clumps remain.
- Add the broth/cornstarch mixture to the slow cooker and stir well.
- Replace the cover on the slow cooker and let cook another 10 minutes or so, to allow the sauce to warm and thicken.
- Serve hot over brown rice or whole wheat pasta.