This recipe satisfies my cravings for lasagna – but it’s healthier and easier!
I like making this dish with rotini pasta – but it would also work well with spaghetti, angel hair, ziti, or elbow macaroni.
If you are interested in keeping things low in calories or saturated fat, I recommend using part-skim mozzarella and part-skim ricotta for this recipe. That’s how I usually make it, and it tastes really great that way. However, if you’re not as concerned about keeping things low in calories or saturated fat, then go for the whole-milk ricotta and whole-milk mozzarella. It will taste awesome, and it’s still healthier than your average lasagna.
Serve this with a green salad and a veggie side (like maybe sauteed garlic asparagus or crispy garlic broccoli) for a filling, well-balanced meal.
Want more great pasta recipes?
Serving size: 1/12 of the pan
Prep time: 20 minutes
Total time: 65 minutes
8 oz whole wheat rotini
1 lb ground beef
25 oz pasta sauce
1/2 C grated parmesan
15 oz ricotta cheese
8 oz shredded mozzarella
- Preheat the oven to 400F. (Want to make the casserole in advance? See the tip below.)
- Prepare a 9×13 baking dish with cooking spray.
- In a medium pot, cook the pasta according to the directions on the package.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, cook the ground beef until the pink is gone.
- Drain the meat and return to the saucepan, with no heat. Add the pasta sauce and combine. Set aside.
- When the pasta is done cooking, drain and return to the pot. Add the parmesan and ricotta. Mix until well combined.
- Spread the pasta/cheese mixture in the baking dish.
- Pour the beef/pasta sauce mixture over the pasta.
- Top with shredded mozzarella.
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 30 minutes. Then remove the foil, and bake for another 15 minutes.
Quick Tip: I usually prepare this casserole in the morning, or sometimes even the day before. For this, I just go through steps 2-9 and then cover the casserole with aluminum foil. I keep it in the fridge. Then, whenever we’re ready to eat it, I follow the baking directions in step 10.