Delicious moist corn bread – made healthier with whole-grain corn meal and whole wheat flour!
So it’s pretty easy to find whole wheat flour at the grocery store, but whole-grain corn meal is another story (at least where I live). I usually have to try two or three stores before I find it, and when I do find it, I stock up. Hopefully, it’s not too hard to find where you live.
If you can’t find whole-grain corn meal, you can substitute regular corn meal (use 1 C of regular corn meal instead of 7/8 C of whole-grain corn meal). It will still be healthier than your average corn bread, since it has whole wheat flour in it.
My family loves to have this corn bread with slow cooker chili.
Time: 30 minutes
3/4 C plus 2 Tbsp whole wheat flour (or 7/8 C)
3/4 C plus 2 Tbsp whole-grain corn meal (or 7/8 C)
1/2 C sugar
1 Tbsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 C milk
1/3 C vegetable oil
- Preheat the oven to 400F.
- Prepare an 8×8 baking dish with cooking spray.
- Combine the wheat flour, corn meal, sugar, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl.
- Add the egg, milk and vegetable oil. Stir until well combined.
- Pour the batter in the 8×8 baking dish.
- Bake for 20-22 minutes, until lightly golden and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
This recipe is adapted from here.