Delicious, 100% whole wheat rolls ready in less than an hour!
Time: 50 minutes
4 C whole wheat flour
1/2 C sugar
1 tsp salt
1 Tbsp yeast
1 C hot water
1/2 C vegetable oil
- Preheat the oven to 150F.
- Add all ingredients to your Kitchen Aid mixer. (You can also make these rolls by hand, see the notes below.)
- Mix the ingredients on the knead setting (this is level #2 on my mixer) for 10 minutes.
- Keep an eye on the dough as it is kneaded. You want it to be soft, but not so soft that it sticks to the bowl. If the dough seems too dry, add water one tablespoon at a time. If the dough seems too sticky, add flour one tablespoon at a time. For tips on how the dough should look, go here.
- Prepare a 9×13 baking dish with cooking spray.
- When dough is done being kneaded, shape the dough into 12-14 rolls and arrange evenly in the baking dish.
- Place in the oven and turn the oven OFF.
- Let the dough sit in the oven for 15 minutes. It will rise during this time.
- Without opening the oven, turn the oven to 350F. Let the rolls cook for 18-20 minutes until golden on top. (Yes, the rolls will be cooking as the oven heats up.)
- If desired, brush melted butter on the top of the rolls and sprinkle with salt.
* To make these rolls by hand, combine the flour, sugar, salt and yeast in a large bowl. Add the water, oil and eggs and mix well. Then knead by hand for 10 minutes and go to step #4.