This easy poppyseed chicken is pure comfort food, made from scratch in your slow cooker.
Prep time: 20 minutes
Total time: 8 hours
2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts
1 tsp thyme
1 tsp sage
1/4 C minced onion
1/4 C butter
1/4 C flour
3 C chicken broth
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1 Tbsp poppyseeds
1 C sour cream
3-4 C cooked brown rice
1/4 C vegetable oil
3/4 C bread crumbs
- Arrange chicken in the bottom of your slow cooker. Sprinkle thyme, onion and sage over the top.
- In a medium pot, melt butter over medium heat.
- Whisk in the flour and let cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Add chicken broth and bring to a boil
- Let the broth simmer for 3-5 minutes, until thick and bubbly.
- Add the salt and pepper to the broth.
- Pour the broth mixture over the chicken in the slow cooker.
- Let the chicken cook on low for 7-8 hours.
- About 10-15 minutes before you plan on eating, set the oven to broil on high.
- After chicken is well cooked, remove it from the slow cooker and shred.
- Add the sour cream and poppyseeds to the slow cooker.
- Return the shredded chicken to the slow cooker and stir to combine.
- Prepare a 9×13 baking dish with cooking spray.
- Spread the cooked brown rice in an even layer in the baking dish.
- Ladle the chicken mixture over the top of the rice.
- Combine the vegetable oil and bread crumbs.
- Sprinkle the bread crumbs over the casserole.
- Place the casserole in the oven and broil on high for 1-2 minutes, until the bread crumbs are golden.
This recipe was adapted from here.