This easy mac n cheese is made from simple healthy ingredients and is always a winner with my kids!
Plus it only takes 15 minutes!
You may notice that I do not use macaroni pasta in my pictures – that’s because my local grocery store does not carry whole wheat macaroni. So I use whole wheat rotini instead. It works great either way.
Time: 15 minutes
1 lb whole wheat pasta
1 12-oz can evaporated milk
1/2 C chicken broth
1 1/2 Tbsp butter
3 Tbsp flour
2 tsp dijon mustard
1/4 C parmesan cheese
Dash of pepper
8 oz sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- Cook the pasta according to the directions on the package. Once it is done cooking, drain and set aside, with a cover to keep it warm.
- Meanwhile, combine the milk and chicken broth in a microwave-safe bowl and heat for three minutes.
- As the milk and chicken broth are heating, melt the butter in a medium pot over medium heat. Add the flour and combine well.
- Gradually whisk in the milk and chicken broth. Bring to a boil, then reduce the low and simmer for 2-3 minutes, until the mixture is thick and bubbly.
- Add the mustard, parmesan, and pepper. Stir to combine well.
- Turn off the heat, and add the cheddar. Stir until the cheese is completely melted and incorporated.
- Combine sauce with the pasta, and serve hot.
This recipe was modified from here